A winter warmer.
1. Cut the bacon into small pieces. Peel and chop the onion. Peel and dice the carrots, swede, potatoes and parsnips.
2. Heat the oil in a heavy-bottomed pan. Add the bacon and fry until it is just getting crispy. Add the onion, and cook until it is getting soft.
3. Add all the diced vegetables and the bay leaves, and cook over a gentle heat with the lid on for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Add the stock and simmer for 15 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
5. Season to taste and serve in bowls, sprinkled with the cheese.
– Vegetarians can use garlic instead of the bacon, and vegetable stock instead of the chicken stock.
– You can use any other root vegetables you have lying about. Celeriac tastes great alongside or instead of parsnip.