This is our take on the familiar British Bakewell tart. Instead of pastry we use our classic polenta shortbread base, packed with almonds, and the topping is a simple frangipane with cranberries stirred in.
Makes: 15 bakewells
Health: Gluten Free
Cook: 55 minutes
Store: 5 days in airtight tin.
RECIPE WEIGHTS & METHOD
POLENTA SHORTBREAD BASE:
- melted butter, for brushing
- 125g/4½ oz/generous ½ cup butter, softened and cubed
- 140g/5 oz/generous 1 cup polenta
- 125g/4½ oz/generous ½ cup brown vanilla sugar (Please see extra notes at bottom – we pre-mix this but you can just scrape in the seeds from ½ a vanilla pod)
- 70g/2½ oz/scant 1 cup ground hazelnuts
- 100g/3½ oz/1 cup ground almonds
- 40g/1½ oz/5 tbsp almonds, toasted and chopped
- 1 egg
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4. Cut a rectangle of baking parchment to line the bottom of a 30 x 23 x 4 cm/12 x 9 x 1½ in baking tin. Brush it and the tin liberally with melted butter before popping in the parchment.
- Put the butter, polenta, sugar, hazelnuts, ground almonds, chopped almonds and egg into a food processor and whizz until the mixture forms a soft but fairly grainy dough.
- Press the mixture into the baking tin with your hands and smooth down with the back of a large spoon, making sure it is evenly spread.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until golden and quite firm to the touch. Leave in the tin to cool completely.
- 3 eggs
- 175g/6 oz/generous ¾ cup vanilla granulated sugar
- 140g/5 oz/1½ cups ground almonds
- 1½ tsp almond extract
- 100g/3½ oz/generous ½ cup ground brown flax seeds (linseed)
- 140g/5 oz dried cranberries
- 175g/6 oz/¾ cup butter, melted
- 3-4 tbsp cranberry sauce
- 55g/2 oz/scant ½ cup almonds, toasted and roughly chopped
- 70g/2½ oz dried cranberries
- Prepare and bake the polenta shortbread base (as above).
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4.
- To make the frangipane, crack the eggs into a large mixing bowl. Add the sugar, almonds, almond extract, ground flax seeds, cranberries and melted butter.
- Beat with an electric mixer, starting at low speed and gradually increasing to high, until fluffy and creamy, but don’t overmix.
- Spread the cranberry sauce evenly over the shortbread base.
- Spoon the frangipane mixture over the cherries and jam, spreading evenly whilst being careful not to mix it with the jam and fruit.
- Sprinkle the top with the chopped almonds and cried cranberries, pushing them in lightly with your hands.
- Bake for 35 minutes, until deep golden and firm to the touch.
- Leave in the tin to cool completely, then turn out and cut into pieces.
Extra notes and recipes for Vanilla Sugar
- fill a 500g or 1 lb kilner jar with granulated sugar (or light brown sugar) and add a couple of whole vanilla pods.
- It’ll take a couple of weeks for the vanilla flavour to infuse the sugar, after which you can decant it into a dredger or sprinkle it from the jar.